Qualification: Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Educator
Unit: Unit 3.1: Understand the value of play in Early Years
Learning outcome: 4 Understand different types of play for all children
Assessment criteria: 4.3. Evaluate resources for: physical play, creative play, imaginative play, sensory play, heuristic play
- Physical play resources include baby gyms, baby bouncers, climbing frames, sit-in vehicles, hoops, skipping ropes and balls etc.
- Creative play resources include pens, pencils, glue, scissors, paint/paintbrushes, cardboard boxes etc.
- Imaginative play resources include dolls/dollhouses, cars, pushchairs, kitchens, dressing-up clothes etc.
- Sensory play resources include water, cornflour, mud, sand etc.
- Heauristic play resources include spoons, pans, shells, csmall items of clothing etc.
- To evaluate resources, there are several things you will need to take into consideration including:
- Are they safe? (e.g. no small parts that babies could swallow, have they been sterilised since they were last used?)
- Do they offer good value? (e.g. will children play with them for extended periods and go back to them? do they break easily?)
- Are they age appropriate? (e.g. will the age group of children find them too challenging or not challenging enough?)
- Do they fit in with the children’s interests?
- Will they offer developmental opportunities that are currently lacking in the setting?