Qualification: Level 4 Diploma in Adult Care
Unit: Health and safety in health and social care settings
Learning outcome: Understand how to carry out own responsibilities for health and safety
Assessment criteria: 2.2 Analyse own responsibilities with regard to legislation and policy for: a. emergency first aid, b. Food-safety, c. fire safety, d. risk to own safety, e. risk to safety of others, f. prompting of administration of medication, g. infection prevention and control, h. hazardous substances, i. security
- Think about how health and safety relates to each of these areas in your own role
- Emergency first aid – are you trained in first-aid? What are the legal requirements for first-aiders in your setting?
- Food safety – have you been trained in food safety and hygiene? Who is allowed to prepare food for others in your setting?
- Fire safety – Are you a fire marshal? Do you carry out fire safety risk assessments? Do you know evacuation routes and procedures in your setting?
- Risk to own safety – you have a responsibility to ensure that you work in a safe way in your setting. Do you report hazards to your manager? Are there any risks to your own safety in your setting? How were the risk-assessed and how was the risk minimised to an acceptable level?
- Risk to the safety of others – you have a responsibility to ensure your actions or inactions do not risk the safety of others. DO you report hazards to your manager? Are there any risks to the safety of others in your setting? How were the risk-assessed and how was the risk minimised to an acceptable level?
- Prompting of administration of medication – are you trained in medication administration? What is the procedure? Do you follow the seven Rs (Right drug, Right dose, Right patient, Right time, Right route, Right documentation, Right to refuse)?
- Infection prevention and control – what procedures do you follow to prevent the spread of infection (e.g. hand-washing, use of PPE, cleaning, food safety etc.)?
- Hazardous substances – how do you store, use and dispose of hazardous substances (e.g. medication, cleaning products, food that is past its sell-by dat etc.)?
- Security – what procedures do you follow to maintain the security of your setting (signing visitors in, challenging suspicious persons, wearing id badge etc.)? what procedures do you follow to ensure sensitive information is stored securely (e.g. not sharing passwords, only sharing info on a need-to-know basis etc.)