Qualification: Level 4 Diploma in Adult Care
Unit: Facilitate person-centred assessment to support well-being of individuals
Learning outcome: Understand theories and principles of assessment
Assessment criteria: 1.1 Critically review theoretical models of assessment
- There is no single standardised theoretical model of assessment
- Three approaches to assessment (Milner & O’Byrne, 2002/Smale & Tuson , 1999):
- Questioning model – Assessor holds the expertise and asks a series of questions then processes the results.
- Procedural model – Criteria-based using checklists, no expertise required
- Exchange model – individuals recognised as experts in their needs, so discourse is used to collaboratively identify solutions in line with their own goals and preferences (person-centred)
- The exchange model is preferred as it is in line with Care Act 2014.
- An example is the strengths-based approach – evidence backing this approach is provided by NICE