Qualification: Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Educator
Unit: Unit 3.1: Understand the value of play in Early Years
Learning outcome: 5 Understand inclusive play practice
Assessment criteria: 5.2 Analyse how play supports the interests and abilities of children
- By observing children at play, you will be able to evaluate how/if the play activities are supporting their interests and abilities
- Some things you may need to consider include:
- Are children getting enough support from adults?
- Do older children interact with their peers?
- How long are children engaged in an acticity?
- Is an activity too challenging or not challenging enough?
- Is an activity age appropriate?
- Does the child seem interested in the activity?
- You may then look at adapting play to make it a better experience for the child, for example by providing additional resources, adult support etc.